Thursday, August 2, 2007

In Memory Of Capt. Phil Whitlock

This past Saturday I lost a fellow firefighter and a good friend to a massive heart attack. Despite all efforts, he was unable to be saved. The news was delivered to me by his dear companion and it was quite a shock. I thought about Phil a lot over the past days and how much he will be missed by everyone. He was a great firefighter and EMT, and served as our captain for this year. I know that people die and it's a part of life, but it's hard to lose someone who did so much.

I will miss his sense of humor, his smile, and his dedication to the fire service. It was an honor to be in the fire department with him. If only everyone in the volunteer fire service had as much loyalty and dedication to their station and the job as he.

He was laid to rest yesterday with full honors, the sounding of the last alarm calling him to his final resting place. Moments like that remind me of the ultimate importance of the duties we perform and to love all of those who serve for the greater good. So to all of you who are in public service, Thank you and I feel honored to be in service with you.

Happy trails and Safe return

Pokey slug

No comments: